There are many ways a user can use our services; to search for, consume and share information. When users share information with voxgov, by creating a voxgov Account for example, we can enhance our services; enable personalized functionalities and sharing capabilities via various mediums and show more relevant ads based on search history, location, etc. As our services are used, we want users to be clear how voxgov is using information and the ways in which users can protect their privacy.
- What information is collect and why.
- How that information is used.
- The choices voxgov offers, including access and update information.
Information voxgov collects to provide better services to our users in two ways:
Information provided: For example, many of our services require users to sign up for a voxgov Account to use advanced functions. We'll ask for personal information (such as name and email address) or ask the user to create an account with an existing service with which the user has authorized this information to be stored (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google). If users want to take full advantage of the benefits and features voxgov offers, a more complete profile can be filled out on the users account profile page. Examples of other activities in which voxgov may collect information include:
- Register for / or update an existing profile on our website.
- When using tools and services (following, sharing).
- When signing-up for newsletters or other communications from voxgov.
- When participating in an online survey.
Information we get from use of our services: We may collect information about the services that are used and how they are used, like when certain topics or people are followed and how the user interacts with ads on the site. This information includes:
Device information: We may collect device-specific information (such as hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). voxgov may associate device identifiers with a user's voxgov Account.
Log information: When services are used or content provided by voxgov is viewed, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include
- Details of how the service was used, such as search queries.
- Internet protocol address.
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of request and referral URL.
- Cookies that may uniquely identify a browser or a voxgov Account.
Location information: When users use a location-enabled voxgov service, including finding your State Congressman via zip code or using future voxgov mobile applications, we may collect and process information about actual location, like GPS signals sent by a mobile device. We may also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from the device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
Unique application numbers: Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to voxgov when that service is installed or uninstalled or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
Local storage: We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on devices using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
How voxgov uses information collected: We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new services, to offer tailored services and content, and to protect voxgov and our users. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Administering accounts.
- Providing access to particular tools and services.
- Respond to inquiries and send administrative communications.
- Obtain feedback on our sites and our offerings.
- Statistically analyze user behavior and activity.
- Provide users with more relevant content and advertisements.
- Conduct research and measurement activities.
- Send personalized emails or secure electronic messages including news, announcements pertaining to opt-in email alerts.
We may use the name provided for a unique voxgov Profile across all of the services we offer that require a voxgov Account. In addition, we may replace past names associated with a user's voxgov Account so that that user is represented consistently across all our services. If other users already have a user's email, or other information that identifies that user (such as Facebook or Twitter), we may show them the publicly visible voxgov Profile information, such as name.
When users contact voxgov (via email, webform or telephony), we may keep a record of communication to help solve any issues. We may use that user's email address to inform them about our services, such as upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies to improve the user experience and the overall quality of our services. When showing tailored ads, we will not associate a cookie or anonymous identifier with sensitive categories, such as those based on race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
voxgov processes personal information on our servers, both in house and hosted.
Transparency and choice: Users have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that users can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, users can:
- Review and control certain types of information tied to a user's voxgov Account.
- View and edit preferences, such as which categories, issues and people of interest, email alerts and frequency of emails.
- Control who information is shared with and when.
A user may also set their browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when we are setting a cookie. However, it's important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if cookies are disabled. For example, we may not remember a user's various preferences.
Information shared: Many of our services let users share information. Remember that when sharing information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines.
Accessing and updating personal information: Whenever a user accesses our services, we aim to provide quick access to that user's personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give ways to update it quickly or to delete it (unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes). When updating personal information, we may ask for verification before we can act on the request.
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of voxgov unless one of the following circumstances apply:
With a user's consent: We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of voxgov when we have that user's consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- View statistics regarding an account, like statistics regarding applications installed.
- Changing of account password.
- Suspend or terminate account access.
- Access or retain information stored as part of an account.
- Receive account information in order to satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- Restrict ability to delete or edit information or privacy settings.
For legal reasons: We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of voxgov if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- Enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of voxgov, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
Information security: We work hard to protect voxgov and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We offer verification when a user accesses their voxgov Account
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to voxgov employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
VoxGov collects and displays Facebook content using Facebook API. VoxGov does not collect, access or store any data from its users in relation to their use of the Facebook service.
To request any deletion of personal data from voxgov please email email@example.com.